My Rubik Interest

In the days when Rubik cubes were new on the market and I had not seen a Rubik cube a work colleague of mine gave me a cube. He and his family had given up on it and he thought I might solve it.

The cube would come out of my desk drawer at every spare moment. I slowly realised that certain repeated movements would return some blocks to a same state whilst manipulating the positions or rotational positions of other blocks. I wrote down the patterns of movements I made and recorded the changes they made. None of that was easy when your start position is scrambled and I have to confess I did on occasion take the cube apart and reassemble it in a completed state.

Eventually I put together a solution. It was like that shown below and a lengthy process when compared to solve methods derived by others and now available on the internet. But it worked and unlike modern solutions it was based on just two move sequences or algorithms, as you might call them. You do not have to learn several algorithms as per other solutions I provide in the menu.

I am no Rubik cube speed merchant but I can scramble a cube and comfortably solve it while the TV adverts are on – using any one of the methods described – not very fast I know but my brain and hands no longer work as they once did.

In retirement one of my interests was in 3d programming using the virtual reality modelling language (VRML) that gave rise to X3D, It was only natural for me to try to build a 3d Rubik cube but then animating it was another challenge. That involved me in learning Java and javascript as well as x3d.

My web hosting service does not entertain java on its site and so I was unable to display my creations on the web. Recently, however, I became aware of X-ITE, a new 3D library written entirely in JavaScript using WebGL for 3D rendering and I thought I would give it a try.

I offered it a simple x3d file and it worked but my more complex x3d and javascript animated cube files required some changes, before they would work. Next I faced the challenge of converting my Java graphic user interface controls with html ones supported by css (cascading style sheet). My final challenge was to make the animated cube work in a word press post. You can see the result in my menu item “Scramble and Solve a 3D Cube”.